Kristopher Woofter, PhD, is a faculty member in the English Department at Dawson College, Montreal. He edits the peer-reviewed journal Monstrum, and is co-editor (with Erin Giannini) of the book series B-TV: Horror Television Under the Critical Radar for Bloomsbury. He edited Shirley Jackson: A Companion (2021) and co-edited American Twilight: The Cinema of Tobe Hooper with Will Dodson (2021). He has recently written on Nosferatu (2022), the documentary thought-experiment film Into Eternity (with Mikaela Bobiy, 2022), and The Incredible Shrinking Man (forthcoming). His research focuses on horror and the Weird in literature and the moving image, horror ecologies, and cosmic pessimism. Kristopher is Co-coordinator of the annual Horror Reverie Symposia.
Publications & Projects
- (forthcoming 2024) with Erin Giannini. Mourning in America: Horror Anthology TV in the Reagan Era. London: Bloomsbury.
- Shoot the Dead: Horror Cinema, Documentary, and Gothic Realism. PhD thesis, Concordia University, 2016.
- (forthcoming 2024) The Routledge Companion to Horror (co-edited with Stacey Abbott, Adam Lowenstein, and Roger Luckhurst). London: Routledge.
- (forthcoming 2023) The Weird: A Companion (co-edited with Carl Sederholm). Oxford: Peter Lang.
- Shirley Jackson: A Companion. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2021.
- American Twilight: The Cinema of Tobe Hooper (co-edited with Will Dodson). Austin: University of Texas Press, 2021.
- Joss Whedon vs. the Horror Tradition: The Production of Genre in Buffy and Beyond (co-edited with Lorna Jowett). London: I.B. Tauris/Bloomsbury, 2019/2020.
- Recovering 1940s Horror Cinema: Traces of a Lost Decade (co-edited with Mario DeGiglio-Bellemare and Charlie Ellbé) . Lanham, MD: Lexington, 2015.
- (forthcoming 2024) “Horror Ecologies.” The Routledge Companion to Horror, edited by Stacey Abbott, Adam Lowenstein, Roger Luckhurst, and Kristopher Woofter. London, Routledge.
- (forthcoming 2023) “Beyond the Infinite(simal): Cosmic Horror and Anti-Anthropocentrism in Jack Arnold’s The Incredible Shrinking Man.” ReFocus: The Films of Jack Arnold, edited by Michael Shuman. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- (forthcoming 2023) (with Carl Sederholm) “Introduction: The Weird and Others.” The Weird: A Companion. Peter Lang.
- (January 2023) “Actuality in the Shadows: F.W. Murnau’s Nosferatu, Pseudodocumentary, and Mockumentary Aesthetics.” Nosferatu in the 21st Century, edited by Simon Bacon. Liverpool, UK: Liverpool University Press / Auteur, 2023.
- (with Mikaela Bobiy). “‘To Remember Forever to Forget’: Into Eternity and the Anti-Anthropocene.” The Anthropocene and the Undead, edited by Simon Bacon. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2022, pp. 147-165.
- “Long Twilight (Hosszú Alkony), Shirley Jackson, and the Eerie In-Between.” Shirley Jackson: A Companion, edited by Kristopher Woofter. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2021, 265-282.
- “Tobe Hooper’s Teenage Wasteland: Youth and Disillusionment in The Funhouse, Invaders from Mars and Mortuary.” American Twilight: The Cinema of Tobe Hooper, edited by Kristopher Woofter and Will Dodson. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2021, pp. 29-42.
- with Anne Golden. “Unsettled Architecture and Avant-Garde Strategies in Tobe Hooper’s Down Friday Street, Toolbox Murders and Djinn.” American Twilight: The Cinema of Tobe Hooper, edited by Kristopher Woofter and Will Dodson. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2021, pp. 68-80.
- with Erin Giannini. “‘That’s a Scooby-don’t!’: The Melancholy Nostalgia of ‘Scoobynatural’ for Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?.” In "Supernatural—The End of the Road: A Reflection," edited by Stacey Abbott and Simon Brown. Monstrum 3, no. 1 (September 2020): 51-62.
- “Caitlin Kiernan’s The Drowning Girl—Shirley Jackson.” Horror: A Companion, edited by Simon Bacon. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2019, pp. 227-233.
- “Weird Whedon: Cosmic Dread and Radical Alterity in the Whedonverse.” Joss Whedon vs. the Horror Tradition: The Production of Genre in Buffy and Beyond, edited by Kristopher Woofter and Lorna Jowett. London: I.B. Tauris/Bloomsbury, 2019, pp. 219-242.
- “Radical Diversion: Attractions Politics in the Horror Pseudo-documentary The Hellstrom Chronicle.” Monstrum. 1 (1). April 2018.
- Editor's Introduction. “‘The Death of Death’: A Memorial Retrospective on George A. Romero.” Monstrum 1, no. 1. (April 2018).
- “Monkey Shines: An Experiment in Fear and The Dark Half.” In “‘The Death of Death’: A Memorial Retrospective on George A. Romero.” Monstrum 1(1). April 2018.
- “A ‘Darkly Hypothetical Reality’: ‘Gothic Realism’ in 1940s Hollywood Horror Cinema.” Recovering 1940s Horror Cinema: Traces of a Lost Decade, edited by Mario DeGiglio-Bellemare, Charlie Ellbé and Kristopher Woofter. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2015, pp. 3-26.
- “Watchers in the Woods: Meta-Horror, Genre Hybridity, and Reality TV Critique in The Cabin in the Woods.” Reading Joss Whedon, edited by Rhonda Wilcox, Tanya Cochran, Cynthea Masson, and David Lavery. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 2014, pp. 268-279.
- “Once More Into the Woods: An Introduction and Provocation.” (with Jasie Stokes). “’We Are Not Who We Are’: Critical Perspectives on Cabin in the Woods (2012).” Special Issue of Slayage: The Journal of the Whedon Studies Association. 10.2/11.1 (36-37) Journal Editors, David Lavery and Rhonda Wilcox.
- (with Papagena Robbins) “‘Gothumentary’: The Gothic’s Unsettling of Documentary’s Rhetoric of Rationality.” Textus: English Studies in Italy. Special issue: “Gothic Frontiers,” edited by Glennis Byron and Francesca Saggini. 25 (3) (September-December 2012): pp. 49-62.
- (2010) Article. “Little Red Riding … Buffy?: ‘Buffy vs. Dracula’ in Explorations of Intertextuality in Introduction to College English.” Buffy in the Classroom: Essays on Teaching with the Vampire Slayer. Edited by Meghan K. Winchell and Jodie A. Krieder. Jefferson, NC, and London: McFarland.
JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUES
- (February 2021) “Troubling SPACE S: In Search of Secret Knowledge." SPACE: Sciences Participating with Arts and Culture in Education. Dawson College.
- (October 2015) “Review: One Step Beyond 6-DVD Set.” Spectacular Optical.
- (March 2015) “Introduction: The American Gothic: A Trans— Discourse.” SPACE: Sciences Participating with Arts and Culture in Education. Dawson College.
- (August 2013) Interview (with Simon Laperrière) “The Snuff of Legend.” Spectacular Optical.
- (August 2013) “Dead Tech: Found Footage at Fantasia.” Spectacular Optical.
- (July 2013) Interview (with Marçal Forés) “Ghost Stories of Youth: Animals (2012).” Spectacular Optical.
- (June 2013) Interview (with Dr. Stacey Abbott, Dr. Lorna Jowett and Dr. Mike Starr). “‘Fan(g)-Scholarship’: TV Fangdom: A Conference on Television Vampires.” Fangoria Online.